Walk-behind mowers use the pull mechanism that turns the crankshaft and starts the engine. It’s the same thing the starter does in your car when you turn the ignition key. Mower pull cords after some time can wear out and break. They can also fray so they won’t retract properly into the pullet housing hence they won’t crank the mower.
The pull cord is connected directly to the engine and in turn, connects to the blade. If the pull cord won’t release, it may be stuck or if it breaks, you will be forced to remove the starter so you can install a new cord. This may also involve disassembling other parts of the mower like the fuel tank and the oil dipstick. Replacing the pull cord is an easy and inexpensive exercise that you can perform within a short time. However, before you disassemble your Toro mower, you’ll need to check your owner’s manual because the process isn’t the same for all models.
Process of replacing the pull cord on your Toro mower
- First, push your mower to a clean, flat surface so you’ll easily find any small part you drop. Then remove the spark plug wire to be on the safe side and unhook the pull cord from the mower handle.
- Use a socket wrench or screwdriver to open the screws that hold the housing cover and any other screws to separate the motor from the recoil assembly. If they’re holding other parts, set them aside and remember where each part goes when it’s time to assemble back.
- Flip the recoil assembly over and pull out the old cord. If the cord broke near the end, you might be able to use it, but otherwise, you’ll need to buy a new cord.
- Wind the starter wheel in one direction until the end and keep it wound by placing a screwdriver into the spaces between the housing and the wheel.
- Use a knife to cut the end of the replacement cord, then feed it into the hole in the recoil housing and the hub of the starter wheel. If it doesn’t fit, use a lighter to heat the ends and fuse the strands. Once the end is in place, tie a knot in the cord and trim the excess with a knife.
- Use your fingers to hold the wheel so it doesn’t rewind while you remove the screwdriver. Allow the wheel to rewind slowly so it can wrap the cord around it as it winds.
- Assemble back the recoil assembly and all the other parts you have removed, then screw back the engine cover. Then tie a knot of the starter cord to the starter handle.
- Don’t forget to replace the spark plug wire in its place so your mower can work again.
How to easily start your mower if you cant pull your mower cord hard enough
|Mower parts||Broken parts like the flywheel brake, a chipped blade, misshapen crankshaft, and hydro locking can make it harder to pull the cord.|
|Cord handles||T-shaped handles restrict the energy you use but handles with a round design fit well in your hand.|
|Height of the mower||Adjust the height of the mower to start the engine then lower it to the grass height you want.|
How to choose the best Toro lawnmower
Here are some key factors you should consider when you’re trying to choose whether to get the riding or walk-behind Toro lawnmower.
This is a very important factor because if you have a big yard, it will take you several hours to mow with a walk-behind mower. However, if you’re using the riding mower, it will take you half the time or less to complete the same task. If you have a small lawn, the push mower will do just fine, and it’s also a good way of exercising.
Mower size and storage space
A riding mower is a much large machine than the push mower so it will take up more space in your garage or shed. So you’ll need to consider the amount of space available in your shed or garage. A push mower doesn’t occupy a lot of space and it can even mow the hard-to-reach places that a riding mower can’t reach.
Electric or gas-powered
If you have a small to medium yard, a battery-powered mower will be perfect to help you easily maintain your well-manicured lawn. For large areas with rugged cutting conditions, inclines and declines, a gas-powered mower will be more ideal because it takes a lot of torque to handle such terrain.
The blade brake clutch helps the mower blade to stop temporarily while the engine is still running. In case you need to move an obstacle from your mowing paths like a stone or branch, you can safely step away from the mower then continue to mow without having to restart the engine. This is also a good safety feature if you have kids and trees around.
Bagging, side discharge, or mulching
Almost all push mowers can mulch and bag and some can also side discharge. The average homeowner would prefer a mower with good mulching capabilities since you don’t have to collect and dispose of them. However, bagging the clippings leaves your lawn with a clean-looking surface which reduces the likelihood of dragging the clipping into the house with your shoes.
The pull mechanism in a Toro mower has a few different parts that work together that allow you to start the engine. Understanding how this system works will help you when it’s time to do basic repairs including replacing a broken pull cord.
What does it mean when your mower cord won’t pull?
If you store your mower standing on its front wheels and oil seeps into the piston cylinder, it restricts movement of the piston, and the crankshaft won’t turn so you cant pull the cord.
Why do lawnmowers need to be pulled?
The pulling mechanism in push mowers is designed to turn the crankshaft which starts the mower engine.